Culinary game & forest weeks in Val d'Ega & Aldino
23.09. - 09.10.2022
Who loves the delicious game dishes, should not miss the culinary autumn in Val d'Ega and in Aldino. Especially autumn with its abundance of summer ripe fruits, berries, herbs and mushrooms provides the healthy, natural ingredients for the tasty variations of game dishes.
So, enjoy from the 23rd September to the 09th October 2022 in the restaurants in Val d'Ega and in Aldino special game and forest dishes under the fantastic mountain scenery of the Dolomites!
Tip: From 24th September to the 08th October 2022 different hikes and interesting activities are offered at the Flora and Fauna Weeks in the Eggental | Val d'Ega valley!
- Franzin Alm hut - Karersee | Carezza - Tel. +39 347 880 9931
- Laurins Lounge - Karersee | Carezza - Tel. +39 0471 155 1870
- Romantik Hotel Post - Welschnofen | Nova Levante - Tel. +39 0471 613 113
- Oberholz hut - Obereggen - Tel. +39 0471 618 299
- Mayrl Alm hut - Obereggen - Tel. +39 333 623 4245
- Gasthof Albergo Rössl - Deutschnofen | Nova Ponente - Tel. +39 0471 616 510 (Friday dinner | Saturday dinner | Sunday lunch)
- Hotel Gasthof Stern - Deutschnofen | Nova Ponente - Tel. +39 0471 616 518
- Restaurant Pizzeria Adler - Deutschnofen | Nova Ponente - Tel. +39 0471 616 280
- Sportcenter - Deutschnofen | Nova Ponente - Tel. +39 0471 616 412
- Golf Club Petersberg - Petersberg | Monte San Pietro - Tel. +39 0471 615 122
- Gasthof Albergo Schönblick - Aldein | Aldino - Tel. +39 0471 886 806
- Schmieder Alm hut - Aldein | Aldino - Tel. +39 0471 886 810
Game and forest event
The game and forest event with live music on 09.10.2022 at the Franzin Alm in Carezza is the crowning finale to the culinary game and forest speciality weeks.
Judith, Thobias & the Franzin Alm team will spoil you with delicious delicacies based on game & forest!
Kirnig - South Tyrolean noble mushrooms, authentic and vigorous
Andreas and Josef, two farmers from Aldino, produce the first noble mushrooms in South Tyrol on an old restored farm in Aldino and supply the local gastronomy and gourmets with their delicious mushrooms.
Guided tour of the production plant followed by a tasting of the noble mushrooms.
Dates: 23.09.2022 | 30.09.2022 | 07.10.2022
Hours: from 4.00 p.m. to 6.00 p.m.
Meeting point: "Hof im Thal" in Aldino
Reservation required: booking online eggental.com/events or in the tourist offices, Tel. +39 0471 619 500
Price: 10,00 Euro/adult - 5,00 Euro/child (6-13 years)
Download the poster here!
HOW TO COOK VENISON
10 tips on game meat
1. Before roasting, the game should be freed from tendons and skin with a sharp, pointed knife.
2. Make sure that the game meat is firm and has a dark red colour. This shows the freshness and quality of the meat.
3. The game meat is very tender and juicy - a lean meat. Therefore, it is important to pay attention to some special features when preparing it. When processing sausages, you should always add some pork meat to game meat, otherwise the game sausage will be too tough.
4. Game is a real winner among the types of meat. It is low in fat and rich in protein, B vitamins and trace elements such as iron and zinc. Since game lives in the wild, it has a lot of muscle meat and contains no harmful foreign substances. On the contrary: the many unsaturated fatty acids found in game meat are preventive against heart attacks and vascular diseases!
5. Spices and fresh herbs give the game more flavour. The venison's own flavour is particularly emphasised by adding juniper, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, mint or cranberries. Refined hobby cooks also add dark cooking chocolate for an extra fine touch.
6. If the taste of game is too strong, stain it with red wine, herbs or juniper.
7. Always fry the meat before cooking. Afterwards, the game meat should be cooked through slowly. Gentle cooking of game meat is important, as this is how the meat remains the most tender. It would be ideal if the meat inside reaches a temperature of 80 degrees for at least a few minutes. A cooking test can be carried out with the finger: If you can press it deep into the meat, it is still very raw. If it does not yield any more, it is cooked through.
8. Red cabbage, polenta, dumplings, potato noodles and of course mushrooms are suitable as side dishes with game.
9. A good game dish is undoubtedly accompanied by a suitable drink. Full-flavoured red wines, either sweet or dry according to taste, crown the dish.
10. The game season runs from May to mid-October. Attention: from the end of September to the beginning of October the red deer is in the rut & therefore the meat is not very edible!
RECIPE: COOK & ENJOY
Venison back steaks in bacon coat with porcini mushrooms
800 grams deer back
12 slices of bacon
500 grams porcini mushrooms
1 shot port wine
1 bunch rosemary
1 bunch parsley
2 tablespoons butter
1 dash of olive oil
1 pinch salt, pepper and sugar
Remove the deer back from the bones and remove the silver skin. Cut the venison fillet (800 g) into three-finger-wide slices and put aside.
Spread rosemary evenly over the bacon, then wrap the meat pieces with the 12 bacon strips and fix with kitchen thread and salt.
Brown the medallions in a pan with melted butter until they are crispy. Place the meat in the oven at 120°C to keep it warm and cook it.
Pepper the remaining gravy in the pan, toss with rosemary, deglaze with port wine and allow to thicken. This makes a very tasty sauce with the meat.
Sauté the cleaned and cut porcini mushrooms (500 g) in a pan with oil and season with garlic, parsley, pepper, salt and butter.
Arrange everything on a plate and serve.
This delicious autumn dish goes well with a powerful red wine!